Fossil Preparation Program
Discover Our Fossil Preparation Programs
We have fossil preparation programs that are suitable for any age! Bring along the whole family and take part in our popular Family Prep Program or if you are over 18 years old and looking for a more in depth fossil preparation experience, join our Fossil Prep Program.
Family Prep Program
The family prep program allows families and children under the age of 18 to learn the basics of fossil preparation. Starting with our Australian Dinosaur Giants tour, you will learn the processes around digging and discovering fossils right through to preserving them. Afterwards, a short induction to fossil preparation and then learn to prep.
The program commences three times a day directly after our 9 am, 11 am and 1 pm tours. Bookings are encouraged. This program is not exclusive to families and can be a great opportunity for and introduction in to the full day program.
Family Prep Program Includes
- 1 Hour Australian Dinosaur Giants Tour.
- 30-minute induction for fossil preparation
- 1 Hour learning to prep fossils in our Palaeo Learning Laboratory with one of our trained fossil technicians.
Fossil Prep Programs
Are your curious about Fossil Preparation? Fossils are generally found partly encased in sedimentary rock. Rarely are fossils found entirely free from the rock. Because of this, fossils must be prepared to reveal their full scientific information or to make them look attractive for displays.
Fossil preparators use a range of methods to extract or expose fossils from their rock matrix. These fossils have been excavated from the Eulo and Eromanga fossil fields, some of the most highly concentrated and best-preserved Australian megafauna and dinosaur fossil fields.
The program runs from 9am through to approx. 4:30pm. Our experienced Fossil technicians will guide you through the stages of fossil preparation. Trained by experts at the ENHM and Queensland Museum, our local technicians have worked on the ENHM digs and in the laboratories for many years.
Fossil Prep Program Includes
- A 1-hour guided tour of the workshop and the dinosaur and megafauna laboratories
- A guided tour of the Collection & Holotype Room. This includes:
- Viewing the real bones of the internationally significant specimen, Australia’s largest dinosaur ‘Cooper’ and ‘Kenny’ a massive Eulo Diprotodon.
- If you are travelling through Eulo on the way to Eromanga, you’ll spot a life-sized bronze sculpture of Kenny.
- Induction and training with a senior Museum Technician (safety gear is provided)
- An opportunity to be able to contribute to the development of the most recent, significant dinosaur, megafauna and arid microfauna fossil collections in Australia.
Please note you will need to bring your own lunch and snacks. Free tea and coffee is provided.
Who can learn to prepare dinosaur and megafauna fossils?
First up, you need to be 18 years and over, have a good eye for detail and a steady hand. Ideally, you should enjoy working with a team, have a head for puzzles and a ‘have-a-go’ attitude. A good dose of patience and persistence certainly goes a long way too! Bookings are essential
Become an Honorary Megafauna Fossil Preparator
Complete a full ten days of megafauna fossil preparation and you are eligible to be assessed as an Honorary Megafauna Fossil Preparator. You will be assessed by an experienced ENHM Fossil Technician. For more information download our Fossil Prep Info document below:
Do you have a preference for dinosaurs or megafauna?
Over the ten-day period, you will have the choice to work on either dinosaur or megafauna fossil material. Every effort will be made to ensure you get your preference, however it will be subject to availability of positions left in the dinosaur and megafauna laboratory.
Fossil Prep Program Rates
Per Person (Per Day) Rates
The above rates are quoted in Australian Dollars per day. Ensure you read our Terms & Conditions before booking. Additional consecutive days can be purchased on application. *Minimum age 18 years.
10 days fossil prep from $725 and after 10 days you can apply to prep for free! Contact us for special rates for over 2 days.